Printing

Thread: Printing

Default Printing

Can anyone point me in the right direction for information regarding printing long reports through ASP. ANYTHING would help. Thanks!<BR><BR>--brad

ActiveALLI Guest

Default RE: Printing

Check&#039out http://www.active4.com/ should get some insight there

Nathan Pond Guest

Default RE: Printing

Learn COM. :-) You cannot print directly from ASP. You can generate HTML and have the browser print it, or you could create a COM object in vb or vc++ or whatever language you want. From there you could access the printer that&#039s connected to the server.<BR><BR>Nathan

Default Q. for Nathan

Question: You say that you can use COM to access the printer connected to the server. Can a client use it to access his printer? What I need is to print a mulit page report. The client browser can print each page manually but that gets tedious (the report is like 35 pages long !! ) so i need a way to batch process. Thanks again for all your help!

Nathan Pond Guest

Default RE: Q. for Nathan

ahh... I misunderstood your goal. Tasks on the client side can&#039t be accomplished with ASP. It looks like you are stuck with an ActiveX control solution. Although ActiveX can quickly be the death of a page if done incorrectly, it is also a powerful and useful tool. The main question to ask is:<BR><BR>do you know the people that will be printing your report? If it is all internal use on your companies intranet, or even just customers accessing the site, and you can set a standard of them only using IE for the site, then ActiveX is the way to go. Otherwise, I wouldn&#039t advise using it if it is a public site.<BR><BR>You also might try using a COM object to create an excel spreadsheet or ms word document on the server, then allowing the user to download it, and print it locally.<BR><BR>That&#039s my 2 cents. :-)<BR><BR>Hope I helped<BR><BR>Nathan