Interpereted ASP VS VB COM ?

Thread: Interpereted ASP VS VB COM ?

RICK S Guest

Default Interpereted ASP VS VB COM ?

Does anyone have any information on the performance gains from using VB COM compared to just straight ASP. I have built a few components which allow me to do things which are not posssible with ASP, such as HTTP GETS and FIle uploads, but I would like to get some concrete info on just how much better performance you can achieve in just everday Buisiness logic and DB connections by using VB COM.

Jason Miller Guest

Default COM wins if you're ready for it.

Under "normal" stress conditions, I&#039ve seen numbers ranging from 40% to 80% acceleration. A lot of this relies on the sort of functions being called; how much is internal computation which can be optimized as oppoed to interfacing? (See the "Developing ASP Components" O&#039Reilly book for more precise details.)<BR><BR>Keep in mind that bad programming is still bad programming -- massive string alterations made my first component an order of magnitude slower than it&#039s scripted counterpart which dumped everything to the browser as fast as possible.<BR><BR>Keep in mind that Microsoft says that you shouldn&#039t perform any interfacing with a component -- ObjectContext is a massive performance hit and ScriptingContext is no longer supported (it exists for people who did development under IIS 3.0) -- so the usefulness of your component may be exceptionally limited.<BR><BR>Keep in mind that if you have indecisive users ("Oh, can we add/remove/alter Foo?"), scripts are much more flexible and don&#039t require server down time.<BR><BR>Keep in mind that debugging a from-scratch component is a bit more difficult than a script (which will give you the line in the script where the component crashed when the component crashes).<BR><BR>But in terms of portability and stress-survival, a COM object easily outmodes a script.<BR><BR>Hope it helps.