Make an ASP page send a file to the desktop

Thread: Make an ASP page send a file to the desktop

Default Make an ASP page send a file to the desktop

Hi there,<BR><BR>From an ASP page, I want to open a file on the server using the ADODB.Stream object, edit the file data and then, instead of having the file be shown in the browser, have one of those download file dialog boxes come up so the user can save it to the desktop.<BR><BR>The file being sent to the desktop is a Flash movie.<BR><BR>Does anyone know how to do this?<BR><BR>I tried writing the file to the page and setting the content type as &#039;application/x-shockwave-flash&#039; but it showed the raw binary in the browser. This was a surprise because in this tutorial - - the content type is set to &#039;image/gif&#039; and an image is response.binarywrited to the page and the browser renders it as an image.<BR><BR>Cheers,<BR><BR>I.

Default<BR><BR>You don&#039;t. At least not from ASP (and preferably not from anywhere else either!). There are very good reasons why each of these things is either extremely difficult (usually requiring an ActiveX control) or impossible. To get a better sense of this, imagine how you would feel if the site (or any other site, for that matter) did any of these things to YOUR computer.