Hide robots.txt file

Thread: Hide robots.txt file

Default Hide robots.txt file

Is there a way to make it so when you go to:<BR><BR>www.mysite.com/robots.txt you do not actually see the robots.txt file<BR><BR>This has always seemed weird. OK world, these are all the really important folders we DON&#039;T want you to see.<BR><BR>hmm,<BR><BR>Paul<BR>

Default No

Why would you? How else would the bot find it?<BR><BR>If a file is in your www area, anyone can get to it.

Default RE: No

Of course. But often one would do a dis-allow for thimgs that are sensitive or one does not want to get into search engines. These things may also be protected via log ins. It just seems wierd that you can go to a site and see all these folders.<BR><BR>I have noticed that GE.com and yahoo do not have a robots.txt<BR><BR>You get a 404<BR><BR>why would they not have a robots.txt<BR><BR>

Default Because they let the bots do

whatever they want in there.<BR><BR>AFAIK, the bots don&#039;t go into protected areas... they typically don&#039;t follow those types of links (you are talking NT protection, no?)<BR><BR>And even if they do follow &#039;em, any ol&#039; user can&#039;t log in.<BR><BR>Remeber about this bot stuff... there are only a handful of &#039;good&#039; bots out there... the &#039;evil&#039; ones don&#039;t even bother to look at robots.txt and index away anyways, so.....

Default Road Signs to Poke Around

so,<BR><BR>I want to poke around a Web Server. I go to: www.mysite.com/robots.txt and get started. Why have a robots.txt file in the first place? If you secure stuff with SQL or what ever all one is doing with the robots.txt is showing the world your "hand".<BR><BR>I see no reason to have the robots.txt<BR><BR>

Default Deep link preventer, mainly

That&#039;s our reason... dunno about others.