Using Javascript in Global.asa?

Thread: Using Javascript in Global.asa?

Default Using Javascript in Global.asa?

HI, the company that I work for has developed an asp site consisting of well over 100 pages. They've recently received a complaint that the client wants to be alerted when the session times out. I know of the javascript method but I was wondering if there was a way to do this without having to insert the javascript into every page. or including the file in every page. For instance: inserting the javascript code into the global.asa. Is this possible so the javascript code can be inserted in that one file and work for every page? Or do I have to make sure that each page reads the javascript individually? Thanks for any feedback and help.

Default You can't do it the way you want to

but there are ways to do it.<BR><BR>First off... global.asa is by no means supposed to interact with the browser, it for IIS and IIS only (read SERVER side)<BR><BR>Javascript is client side.<BR><BR>I realize it may be a pain to modify all the pages but it may be necessary unless you know of a page or two that are already included (&#060;!-- include statement --&#062;) which you could modify to suit your needs.<BR><BR>The technique I have in mind is this, I&#039;m not going to write the code, just a few ideas you could use:<BR><BR>On the beginning of each page, store the Session.Timeout in an ASP variable which you will "plug" in a javascript function.<BR><BR>The goal is to build a textfield, or div/layer if you can that javascript will decrease as time goes.<BR><BR>A countdown that you could place somewhere in your page.<BR><BR>So your client could see how much time he&#039;s got before his sessio gets deleted.<BR><BR>OR<BR><BR>you can simply start a javascript timer so that in say 30 minutes, pop a message saying : "you&#039;re out"<BR><BR>Don&#039;t work with server technologies if the goal you are trying to reach is for client side.<BR><BR>Take the info you need from the server (Session.Timeout) and that&#039;s all javascript needs to know to get going.<BR><BR>(I&#039;m not sure the proper name is Session.Timeout, you might wanna verofy that)<BR><BR>Eniac<BR>