How to you load a database so it is accessable in

Thread: How to you load a database so it is accessable in

Default How to you load a database so it is accessable in

ok im very new to this so excuse the petty questions that you all know already.<BR><BR>im slowly making my way through a book on asp. im not at the databases section and this is what im interested in. however im lost. it says in order for you to be able to use asp/databases you need ADO and ActiveX components. Im tried searching but I have found no way to verify ActiveX is on my system.<BR><BR>Im running IIS 5.0 on XP Home. (Don&#039;t ask) I downloaded MDAC 1.7 off MSDN in the hope it contained ActiveX. I don&#039;t know if it did. I found the ODBC Data Source Admin programme however im at a lose at how to load MS Access Data base files, the .mdb extentions so that i can access the tables inside with asp coding. I was using SQL strings to do so. <BR><BR>The questions:<BR><BR>What do i need to run databases with asp off my own system.<BR>How do I know if I have ActiveX on my system.<BR>How do you put databases onto ODBC so I can access them. What links to what?<BR>ie you got<BR><BR>str = Provider=MSDASQL; Data Source="data" <BR><BR>where is the Data Source pointing?<BR>Do I need OLE DB? If so where do I get it?<BR><BR>Or if you wanna be really nice,<BR><BR>I neeed a full description of how to access databases using asp with IIS and MSAccess and ODBC so it doesn&#039;t get an error.<BR><BR>FYI the error I get is as follows:<BR><BR>Error Type:<BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)<BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified<BR>/ASP/ASPExamples/08asp02.asp, line 35<BR><BR>Coding some of the coding was<BR><BR>&#039;SQL statement<BR> SQL= "SELECT tblCourse.CourseName From tblCourse "<BR><BR> &#039;record set<BR> Set rs = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR> <BR> rs.ActiveConnection = cnn<BR><BR> rs.Open SQL<BR><BR> While Not rs.EOF<BR> str = str & rs("First Name") & "<BR>"<BR> rs.MoveNext<BR> Wend<BR><BR> GetCourseData = str<BR><BR> End Function<BR><BR> Dim cnn<BR><BR> Dim str<BR><BR> Set cnn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR><BR> str = "Provider=MSDASQL;DSN=AriMiddle;UID="";PWD="";"<BR ><BR> cnn.Open str<BR><BR>Thanks so much,<BR><BR>David.

Default RE: How to you load a database so it is accessable

Have found this very useful when trying to get syntax of connection strings correct<BR>Cheers<BR>Tim Grose