Setting up a user in SQL server database

Thread: Setting up a user in SQL server database

Default Setting up a user in SQL server database

Hi,<BR><BR>I&#039;m a newbie to SQL server2k, and just wondereded how to setup a user correctly to access a database thru ADO.<BR><BR>I&#039;m using Eprise manager to look at the database on my local machine, and there is the option to setup users and roles. which one of these must i use and how should i use it?<BR><BR>I intend to use this connection string: "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=False;User ID=userid;pwd=passwordInitial Catalog=table;Data Source=(local)" is this correct?<BR><BR><BR>Thanks in advance<BR><BR>James.

Default RE: Setting up a user in SQL server database

Hmm, setting up user permissions is a pretty difficult task with SQL Server, since you can assign permissions to every column in a table, and you have to assing permissions to objects you create (such as stored procs and functions). You have to decide what different kinds of users you have, and how you want to manage users (in groups, in user roles or in application roles). It&#039;s beyond the scope of this forum to explain all of this. I suggest you take a look at Books Online (the &#039;helpfile&#039;).<BR><BR>Also you have to decide if you want to use intergrated security or windows NT security.<BR><BR>If you want a quick and dirty solution to test and assuming you want to use SQL auth. , you can add a user through enterprise manager. Just expand the &#039;Security&#039; node and add a login, and give permissions to access the db. Finally you can change the properties of the new user in the db itself under the &#039;users&#039; node.<BR><BR>But again, I really suggest you read up on userroles etc.