Favorites Manager

Thread: Favorites Manager

Default Favorites Manager

I want to move beyond my e-commerce store. And so I have come up with a<BR>piece of software I would like to write. After doing some more<BR>brainstorming I feel I want to write a Distributed Application using VB.net, XML, and SQL Server<BR>2000. Possibly (ASP.NET for website interface).<BR><BR>Without going into what the program IS, would it be possible to tell me<BR>where to start?<BR><BR>I am studying Beginning Visual Basic.net (wrox book) but I also at the same<BR>time want to get started on the core of the program. I have built a simple<BR>form and learned how to add the File Menu, Context menus etc. I can Open a<BR>text file in the VB.net app and write to it, save it, exit the program etc.<BR><BR>More specifically, (if I am on the right track) how would I write to an XML<BR>file instead of a .txt file?<BR><BR>Say in my application the user creates 50 categories with many parameters<BR>describing the category or giving information about the category. I would<BR>not want 50 xml files I would want them stored in some sort of client<BR>database?<BR><BR>While I have considered that the application would allow *ALL* clients to<BR>connect to a central SQL Server that seems both unstable and unsecure, how<BR>do I get around that if I want to allow *ALL* clients to share each other&#039;s<BR>data?<BR><BR>I can see that I need to write the Interface in VB.NET store the immediate<BR>data in XML/SQL... I think the application idea goes beyond peer to peer /<BR>client to server relationships which is why I mention I think it should be a<BR>Distributed Application meaning all of the Internet is it&#039;s playground.<BR><BR>Can anyone help get a young programmer straightened out and on the correct<BR>path?<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR>Daniel<BR><BR>

Default RE: Favorites Manager

There are many good books out there to start with. My favorite so far has been O&#039;Reilly&#039;s Programming ASP.NET. It covers the .NET Framework (for beginners) in fair detail with nearly all examples in both VB.NET and C#. It also has a decent intro to ADO.NET (connecting to and using SQL Server). To have all clients connecting to the database, sharing data, there are a few ways to do this. One way is to have a single (or a small few) "application" login(s) to the database. You can have the connection information in an xml file, say machine.config, which contains the username/password. If the box is locked down, this info should be secure. The app uses this info to log into the database and does what it needs to do to get the correct info to the users. <BR><BR>Also you can check out dotnet247.com, and dotnetjunkies.com for other "reference" sorts of questions. There are many articles out there on hooking up to XML files for example.<BR><BR>Hope this helps,<BR><BR>Frank