(This was a response to an older msg but I started a new thread with a more relevant title)<BR><BR>I have an Excel file ODBC that I haven&#039;t much of a clue how to reference. I have viewed the FAQs here, as well as on the MS site and others, but I think I&#039;m still having a syntax or other such problem. I tried Bill W&#039;s example from the FAQ, but it didn&#039;t work for me. It either gives the msg "The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file &#039;(unknown)&#039;. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data", or it partially opens the page, but fails with various errors, including "&#039;boardnames$&#039; is not a valid name" or "The Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object &#039;boardname$&#039; or cannot find an object, depending which particular syntax I&#039;m playing around with. I DO have permission to open the file, and it&#039;s in the same location as all of our other web-enabled Access databases anyway. *Obviously* I&#039;m doing something wrong.<BR><BR>The excel file, which populates a dropbox, is a simple one with only 2 cols, and col A1 and B1 have text values of "BNAME" and "BDESC" as header names, ie, field names, right? No named ranges, rightly or wrongly. I saw that [sheet1$] syntax on the MS page, I believe, but [boardnames$] didn&#039;t work either. I&#039;m not sure it&#039;s even creating the connection, let alone getting to the data. The path to the excel file is correct, and of course the connection string below is wrapped here, but is set up correctly on the page. I did not create the ODBC, so I don&#039;t know if there&#039;s something special that should have been done, but I can find out if there was. Here&#039;s a code sample:<BR><BR>set cn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") <BR>cn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & "Data Source=c:inetpubwww.albemarle.orgdatabaseoardname s.xls;" & "Extended Properties=""Excel 8.0;HDR=Yes""" <BR>~ <BR> &#060;option value="00"&#062;Select Board Name&#060;/option&#062; <BR>&#060;% <BR>&#039; MySQL = "Select * from [sheet1$] " [commented out for now] <BR>&#039; set rs=cn.execute(MySQL) [yes i know this goes with the one above, not the one below] <BR>&#039; RS.Open "Select * from [Sheet1$]" [ditto. which is correct, if either is?] <BR><BR> do until rs.eof <BR> BdName = rs("BNAME") [text in col A] <BR> BdDesc = rs("BDESC") [text in col B] <BR>%&#062; &#060;option value="&#060;%=BdName%&#062;"&#062;&#060;%=BdDesc% &#062;&#060;/option&#062; <BR>&#060;% rs.movenext <BR> loop <BR> rs.close <BR> set rs = nothing <BR>~ <BR><BR>The test prog can be viewed at http://www.albemarle.org/webdbapps/testexcel.asp but it may change without warning, obviously, as I test stuff. <BR><BR>Thanks! <BR><BR>elaine <BR>epack@blue.unix.virginia.edu