Does anyone know when the state information is supposed to be retrieved in a user control? I am trying to set a variable based on a dropdownlist selected item value, but it always returns the index 0 value in the Page_Load method. For instance in an ascx file:<BR><BR>protected withevents ddl1 as DropDownList<BR><BR>Sub Page_Load(Sender as Object, e As EventArgs)<BR> Dim MyValue as String<BR> MyValue = ddl1.SelectedItem.Value <BR>End Sub<BR><BR>At this point, the value of MyValue always returns ddl1 index[0] value because the state information has not yet been retrieved.<BR><BR>If you were to do the same thing in a regular aspx file, MyValue would be set to whatever the ddl1 value was set to by the user before the page posts back.<BR><BR>Any thoughts on why this is happening? I thought the control state was supposed to be retrieved before the Page_Load runs. More importantly, does anyone have any ideas as to how to resolve the issue? I tried putting the assignment into the Page_PreRender method, but the control&#039;s prerender method fires after any page event handlers run, which is problematic because when the submit button is clicked on the page I need the assignment to be complete. However, the submit button handler runs before the page_prerender for the control.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance for any help.<BR><BR>Sara