big problem -- pws to iis -- app can't insert or update into db

Thread: big problem -- pws to iis -- app can't insert or update into db

Steve Marlowe Guest

Default big problem -- pws to iis -- app can't insert or update into db

ok, i have a pretty bad problem on my hands this time. i have been developing my asp database application using access as the database on pws and now that it was finally ready i moved it over to the server today which runs iis and it works great on querying information from the database but it will not insert into the database or update information in the database. the error i get is as follows<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039 80004005&#039 <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Operation must use an updatable query. <BR><BR>i get this exact same error on both an insert sql statement and an update sql statement. i know that they are good statements because the app still works fine on pws just not on iis. does anybody have an idea what the problem is?<BR><BR>another thing that is bothering me a little bit about moving the app to the server this morning. usually i leave my access running with the database open so that i can check that info is being correctly submitted or updated in the database and it runs fine on my personal machine with pws. i did that with the app on the server running iis this morning and when i tried to do anything even query the database it gives me this error<BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039 80004005&#039 <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Couldn&#039t use &#039(unknown)&#039; file already in use. <BR><BR>i have gotten errors before about the database being locked when i had a table opened that the asp app was trying to use but if i leave access running with all tables closed it works fine on my pws machine...on iis it does not. it gives me this error everytime so i am assuming that when one user is using the database to view records that another user is going to get this error if he tries to view records at the same time? that is not good at all? any help with this one greatly appreciated as well. im not so sure that this involves the difference in webserver but maybe you guys have some experience here -- i do not.<BR><BR>steve

Default RE: big problem -- pws to iis -- app can't insert or update into db

Without seeing your code I could only make a wild guess that one of the problems is in the way you open database. Make sure once you open database as read only to use proper methods with Recordset Object. Also do not forget to close Objects (which support that method) at the end of the page.<BR><BR>Following said rules I never had any problems with "input" or "update" sql statements.<BR><BR>Sorry I couldn&#039t help you more.