No meta- refreshing chat code ???

Thread: No meta- refreshing chat code ???

chris huston Guest

Default No meta- refreshing chat code ???

Hello,<BR>I was wondering if there is a way to run a select query every 15 - 20 secs and display the text.. I know i can use the meta refresh tag, but that looks gross. I do not want to use that.<BR>Isn&#039t there vbscript that will act like a clock<BR>and grab the data that i code when secs = 1, 16, 31, 46 occur?<BR>sort of like a timer. I would put this into one frame then push it to another "somehow". Can this be done Yet? I hate the meta refresh, and i can&#039t use java apps either.<BR><BR>thank you anybody for a clue,<BR>chris

2. #2 Guest

Default RE: No meta- refreshing chat code ???

I think what you are suggesting is not via. VBScript is executed in your ASP page when your browser sends a request to the server for that page. Once the script is run the results are returned to browser, and the server goes about its business. The browser would then have to send another request for the page. This is where the meta-refresh header comes in. <BR><BR>I do not understand why you think this is gross!<BR><BR>If anyone has contrary info I would stand crrected, and I would like to be informed.

Reloading the page, drives people nuts in chat windows.<BR>Is there no way of having the code initialize on load then continue to run... in the background... the re-up the page in another frame...<BR><BR>

Richard A. Lowe Guest

Hi Chris,<BR><BR>Actually I implemented the same idea as my submission to the chat room contest @ 4guys, but I&#039m easy-going, so I&#039d be happy to share my (not really production ready) code with you. It&#039s a bunch of pages, though, so I&#039ll email you the zip file, if you want.<BR><BR>Contact me @ if you want my source code.<BR><BR>In the meantime here is what you wanted in JavaScript:<BR><BR>&#060;script language=&#039javascript&#039&#062;<BR>// ~~~~ SIMPLY RUNS THE REFRESH IF A FORM ELEMENT IS<BR>// ~~~~ POPULATED ON THE ChatInterface.asp PAGE<BR>function runRefresh()<BR>{<BR> if (parent.parent.Tinterface.sayit.currentRoom.value !=&#039&#039)<BR> {<BR> window.location.href = &#039EXEC_ChatRefresh.asp&#039;<BR> }<BR>}<BR><BR>// ~~~~ Runs at page load time every 5 seconds. ~~~~<BR>TimerWait = setTimeout(&#039runRefresh()&#039, 5000);<BR>&#060;/script&#062;