About include file

Thread: About include file

Diya Guest

Default About include file

Hi,<BR><BR>I want to know whether the use of include files reduce the speed of page loading? <BR><BR>Thanks in advance.<BR>Diya.

Default RE: About include file

Yes, but it will be minor compared to gain in the flexibility and maintainability of your site. By including another file, IIS has to fetch it from disk. Another disk read = slower performance. IIS does cache files though, so once it&#039s read, it probably will reside in memory (especially if it&#039s being hit often), which will reduce the performance hit. Regardless, unless your site has 1000&#039s of users, or you include tons of includes, you won&#039t notice a speed difference.<BR><BR>I&#039ve found that using include files is very key to maintaining your site, whether they be used for common visual elements (header, footer), or for shared functions (sendemail, etc). I have seen well-known production web sites with 500 - 1000 simultaneous users have ASP pages that include 10 different files, and even some of those files included other ones. Yet, the pages still loaded really fast.<BR><BR>Basically, it&#039s a lot easier to add more memory or horsepower to your web server than it is to change headings in 200 pages because hardcoding them made the application support 2 more simultanous users.<BR><BR>Look at your progression like this:<BR><BR>Just variables like colors, fonts? Store in Application object<BR>Common functions, or headings, that change often? Use includes<BR>Frequently hit functions that stay the same? Use COM objects.<BR><BR>