Thread: OLE-DB vs. ODBC

Lisa B. Guest

Default OLE-DB vs. ODBC

I’ve heard that an OLE-DB connection is faster and more stable than an ODBC one (…or so they say). Well, so I decided to give it a try and switched my connection from:<BR><BR>&#060;% ‘ ODBC / DSN-Less:<BR>Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>Conn.Op en "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=c:dataDatadatabase.mdb"<BR><BR>‘ To OLE-DB:<BR>Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")<BR>Conn.Op en "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=C:Datadatabase.mdb”<BR>%&#062;<BR><BR>How ever when I try the latter connection (OLE-DB) I get the following error:<BR><BR>Microsoft JET Database Engine error &#039 80040e4d&#039 <BR>Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user.<BR><BR>Well, the database (Access) in reality was not open in any mode or used by anyone else. I did not set any special Administrator, User-right privileges, passwords, or what not (just plain tables). So why am I getting this error? Is there something that I forgot to specify in my OLE-DB connection?<BR>Anyone?<BR><BR>

Jason Miller Guest

Default RE: OLE-DB vs. ODBC

I was getting errors when I first switched, too -- though I don&#039t remember what they were. Try adding a ";User ID=admin" to the end of your connection string and see if Access likes it better. (I do remember that that was my solution...)