Is Absolute Positioning slower than inline HTML?

Thread: Is Absolute Positioning slower than inline HTML?

Default Is Absolute Positioning slower than inline HTML?

There&#039;s a raging debate going on in my office :) I would love to hear some testimonials and opinions from the folks here. Personally, I lean towards "yes", given that the browser must interpet where to put an element. I also wonder how absolute positioning works "under the hood." Does it cause more network traffic?<BR><BR>I can&#039;t seem to find any white papers or articles on the web indicating either way.

Default Who cares?

It&#039;s all happening in the browser, and the browser typically has *TONS* of leftover horsepower. That is, the desktop machine is very very rarely running at more than a few percent of capacity (okay, unless it&#039;s playing a video game).<BR><BR>There&#039;s certainly no different in the time it takes to send the HTML from server to browser. That&#039;s all handled by low level code that runs at the same speed--thanks to interrupt driven processing--no matter what else is happening. (Okay, maybe not quite so true on Win98 and older OS&#039;s, but still...)<BR><BR>Network traffic??? Only in the sense that the HTML for the absolute positioning is typically larger than generic HTML. But what are we talking about here? A couple of K bytes on a page? Hell, put one JPG image on the page and you&#039;ve hit the network a lot harder than that. Or one FLASH animation. Or...<BR><BR>Seems to me that the biggest question is the simple one: Will it work with all the browsers you care about?<BR><BR>