Grouping Check Boxes

Thread: Grouping Check Boxes

Default Grouping Check Boxes

Hi,<BR><BR>I&#039;m building a form in which I have several fields that have multiple check boxes (ie. the user can select more than one option for that field). I was just wondering:<BR><BR>a) How to store those multiple values (all the selected check boxes) into one field (to store in one database field).<BR><BR>b) How to retrieve those values from the database (in one field) and post them back to the form for reporting.<BR><BR>Please let me know if more information is required.<BR><BR>Thanks

Default RE: Grouping Check Boxes

Hi-<BR><BR>I am not sure how you would store them all in one field in a database, given that there are different values for each checkbox presumably. <BR><BR>Instead, you could make a table in the database in which each row contained the id of the submittor and one of of the values.<BR><BR>What is your ultimate goal with the data?<BR><BR>KenS

Default Ken is right...

...this is called "Database Normalization". Look it up. Learn about it.<BR><BR>It&#039;s a *HORRIBLE* idea to put multiple values into a single DB field.<BR><BR><BR><BR>