Job: Programmer -- Toronto, Canada

Thread: Job: Programmer -- Toronto, Canada

Ben Jones Guest

Default Job: Programmer -- Toronto, Canada

Fast-growing interactive company requires *experienced* ASP programmers. Candidates should have minimum of 18 months professional experience and will have worked on two or more mid- to large web sites in the financial services, telecommunications, sports/entertainment, travel, technology, medical, government, etc. fields.<BR><BR>Core requirements: <BR>- ASP / Visual Basic<BR>- IIS<BR>- Windows NT Server 4.0<BR>- SQL<BR>- HTML<BR><BR>Assets:<BR>- MS SQL Server<BR>- Oracle<BR>- DB/2<BR>- Java<BR>- Cold Fusion<BR>- Perl<BR>- Tango<BR><BR>Salary and benefits to vary according to experience.<BR><BR>NOTE: this position will be filled by an **experienced** developer only. We are not presently hiring junior programmers. This position is open only to candidates in the Toronto area.<BR><BR>To apply, send an e-mail to:<BR>jobs@vbdi.com, with the subject "PROGRAMMER"

fl1rt Guest

Default RE: Job: Programmer -- Toronto, Canada

let&#039s face it - if you&#039re not prepared to pay re-location fees then the salary and benefits can&#039t be much to be expected, any **experienced** developer knows that much.<BR><BR>I guess living in the UK counts me out, but having been to Toronto - it&#039s a cool place to work, I&#039d recommend it, but take some warm clothes.<BR><BR>you also contradict yourself by stating "programmers","candidates" and then "position","programmer" in the sub-text.<BR>Just how many positions are there in reality?<BR><BR>calle me cynical, but having worked for some of the best interactive companies in the world - it still doesn&#039t surprise me how the basic message &#039from above&#039 can still be confusing.<BR>

Ben Jones Guest

My apologies for any inconsistencies in the posting. With regards to your comments ...<BR><BR>I have hired from postings to this message board in the past and know from experience that there are a lot of visitors to this web site from the Toronto area. Why pay relocation fees when there&#039s already a good pool of talent to draw from? Sorry this excludes everyone not living in the Toronto area, but at least nobody will have to buy a new winter coat and wardrobe as a result of the job posting.<BR><BR>That being said, thank you for highlighting the fact that multiple positions are available should more than one strong candidate apply. It&#039s important to keep one&#039s options open when you come across great talent.<BR><BR>If you have any more questions or comments about our HR policies, please e-mail jobs@vbdi.com. I will answer every e-mail personally. I think that it is in everyone&#039s interest to keep the content in this message board on a professional level -- I don&#039t see how venting at a job posting helps.<BR><BR><BR>Ben<BR>

fl1rt Guest

venting? me? - I think you got off pretty lightly.<BR><BR>I was merely pointing out as a *professional* the inaccurancies in your job posting and the confusion that it could cause the individual/s - not a good advert for your company!<BR><BR>I also take your point about your HR policies - isn&#039t it funny how these departments don&#039t like to get involved in public discussions. say no more ; )<BR><BR>good luck with your applicants.<BR><BR>fl1rt<BR>

rt Guest

your a jackass

fl1rt Guest

well, that&#039s a highly constructive and unprofessional comment based upon a discussion that had real content, value and argument - you&#039re even ashamed to disclose your name.<BR><BR>by the way...it&#039s spelt "you&#039re", not "your".<BR>well done - you&#039ve or should that be, youv? impressed me!<BR><BR>fl1rt

Strider Guest

hahahaha, I tend to agree with fl1rt. The original post was rather unprofessional, and he was just pointing that out so that the person who posted it would do a better post next time.

fl1rt Guest

Default RE: sensible

thank frig for that comment! - I come here (as we all do) to give and seek advice on advanced ASP as this is one of the *best* boards on the net for both inexperienced / experienced ASP webmasters.<BR><BR>if RT is going to say something on this board, then how about some new function or advice - rather than unconstructive, unjustified offensive comments?<BR><BR>if you read the thread carefully, as Strider has done, it is clear than the original posting was rather unprofessional in respect of advertising for a *professional* position. As the company in question has used this board before for such job postings - this should serve as a positive note about any future job postings.<BR><BR>fl1rt<BR>now lets get back to the problems of ASP!!!<BR>and btw I cost $150 hr if anyone&#039s interested? lol .seriously.<BR><BR>Also, no-one managed to suggest "how to" create a dynamic image counter with source ASP alone - with no componants.<BR>Is it possible or am I barking up the wrong tree?<BR>

Jim Z Guest

Default RE: Dynamic Image counter W/asp

Not a complete answer but I just took an XML class where we briefly discussed VRML, which uses XML to display images. Possibly in conjunction with ASP you can use this.<BR>Might be a dead end but maybe not.<BR>Good Luck<BR>

fl1rt Guest

Default RE: Dynamic Image counter W/asp

whether it&#039s a dead end or not - I&#039m already at one!...<BR> so I shall read into your suggestions further.<BR><BR>cheers<BR>fl1rt