This is my second posting of this problem. I am reposting for two reasons:<BR> 1- I put it into ASP Q & A and I think it should probably go here.<BR> 2- I have learned more and can probably present the problem in a more coherent manner.<BR> Here goes.<BR> I am issuing a SELECT statement to an Oracle DB Table asking for two columns to be returned. One of these columns is a LONG data type. In Oracle this can be up to 2gb in length. In this case for any given record this column would never be more than a few hundred characters long.<BR> Please understand that in the discussion that follows, I am always referring to the same row of the Record Set. No MoveNext was executed. In actual fact, the Select only returns one row. <BR> I would expect that if I did:<BR> Response.Write RS(1), I should get the contents of the column displayed and if I then did Response.Write RS(1) again, I should get that same data displayed again. <BR> Now for the tricky bit. Assume that the particular row returned should have had a 40 character string in the column. When I do the first Response.Write RS(1)I get null returned. When I do the second I get the trailing 17 characters of the actual data.<BR> My research has shown that the net effect is that it(?) increments through the data 23 bytes per Response.Write RS(1) but returning null until the last of the real data which it does return properly. I couldn&#039t find an example whose length was an exact multiple of 23 to see what would happen.<BR> I tried a different Oracle Table with a LONG data type column with the same results.<BR> Anticipating possible work arounds<BR> 1. This is a Table created by and for an Oracle Application, that is a Package, so it can&#039t be changed to a different Data Type.<BR> 2. I tried to limit the amount of data that could potentially be returned by Oracle by asking for a SUBSTR of the column and by filtering it through RTRIM. The theory here was that some level of software was concerned about the potential length of data to be returned. SUBSTR or RTRIM would create a definable or more managable amount of data would be returned. It didn&#039t work as these Oracle functions are incompatible with the LONG data type.<BR> Bruce Newcomer<BR> bruce.newcomer@peachtreecityga.ncr.com<BR><BR>