boolean search string to SQL

Thread: boolean search string to SQL

Default boolean search string to SQL

Does anyone know of a method of converting a boolean search string (like the ones used in search engine advanced searches) into the WHERE clause of a standard SQL query?<BR>e.g. (word1 AND "word 2") OR "word 3" NOT word4<BR><BR>I&#039ve been trying to unscramble this one for 2 days now and my brain is completely swiss-cheesed. If anyone can sort it out, many thanks and I&#039ll support your MENSA application.<BR><BR>Cheers, Ric

Nathan Pond Guest

Default RE: boolean search string to SQL

Ex. 1:<BR>Select * From Table Where textfield like &#039%word1%&#039 And textfield like &#039%word2%&#039<BR><BR>Ex. 2:<BR>Select * From Table Where textfield like &#039%word3%&#039 And textfield not like &#039%word4%&#039<BR><BR>hope this helps<BR><BR>Nathan

Default RE: boolean search string to SQL

Thanks Nathan, but what I really need is an algorithm or code to AUTOMATICALLY convert the boolean search string into the SQL WHERE clause. My problem is in unscrambling the logic behind the boolean algebra and producing the similar SQL statement.<BR><BR>For my previous example<BR>(word1 AND "word 2") OR "word 3" NOT word4<BR><BR>this would have to recognise () and "" and the keywords AND, OR and NOT to produce<BR><BR>SELECT DISTINCT * FROM sometable WHERE (somefield=&#039word1&#039 AND somefield=&#039word 2&#039) OR somefield=&#039word 3&#039 AND NOT somefield=&#039word4&#039<BR><BR>I&#039m only trying exact matches just now as using the LIKE operator slows down the query by quite a lot. I might use it later on for more unrestricted searches.<BR><BR>Cheers, Ric