Paging some stuff that's not in a DB

Thread: Paging some stuff that's not in a DB

Default Paging some stuff that's not in a DB

Hi there,<BR><BR>I&#039;m starting to work on a dynamic gallery system and I came across a problem.. <BR>I want to show up the thumbnails with the appropriate links by reading the files directly in the directory instead of holding them in a database (I believe this will be easier and maybe faster). However, I&#039;ll obviously have to do some paging to safeguard usability. But how can I do this paging if the information is not a recordset?

Default Since i cannot start my own thread...

I have 21 ranks from 1-21 and im doing a promote script that i can promote a user to the next rank. But what i want that i cant get to work is how for like for example someone ranked "14" to only promote people 3 ranks below them and below that ( 1-11 ) and i dont get how to do this. Any help is thanks. heres the script i have now:<BR><BR>&#060;% <BR>Dim rsMembers <BR>Set rsMembers = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") <BR>strSQL = "SELECT tblUsers.* FROM tblUsers;" <BR>rsMembers.Open strSQL, strCon <BR>do until rsMembers.EOF <BR><BR>If rsMembers("Rank") &#060; strUserRank and rsMembers("Lock") = 1 then<BR>Response.Write "&#060;option value=&#039;"& rsMembers("ID") &"&#039;&#062;"_<BR>& rsMembers("Username") &"&#060;/option&#062;"<BR><BR>End If<BR><BR>rsMembers.MoveNext <BR>Loop <BR>%&#062;

Default RE: Paging some stuff that's not in a DB

Periodically read in the directory and populate a disconnected Recordset. This can be exported to and application variable as an xml string. At the same time update an application variable with the current time. When a request comes in, check the time elapsed time from the last request. If the timeoutperiod has not been exceeded, open the RS from this application variable and use as you normally would. The value added part is that this solution also makes it possible to sort on any of the fieldsin the disconnected RS, by adding a filter to the disconnected RS.<BR><BR>I hope that this helps.