Thread: SteveG

Default SteveG

Currently I&#039;m using the MS Access 2000 Jet database engine for manipulating web application data.<BR>I use the SELECT * FROM tablename WHERE field = data; ( a sequential searching process). I really need to speed up<BR>the selection/seeking process for better performance. The typical size of databases is from 5MB-25MB. A friend said that a Binary/Indexing means of finding data is much much faster than a sequential one. Is there a process like this in MS Access? Is it&#039;s Seek method a binary/indexing one? Will it improve my searching appreciably? Are there other alternatives I should learn about? Where can I find this info? I&#039;m a fast learner. I realize I need to soon get into SQL Server, but for now please help me with MS Access.<BR><BR>Tanks,<BR><BR>Steve

Default GeorgeW?

How do you *know* that your SQL is causing a sequential search?<BR><BR>If the [hl="yellow"]field[/hl] in that SQL query is an indexed field, then it should not be. In fact, since you are asking for an exact match on a particular value, it should be lightning fast.<BR><BR>So if you don&#039;t have the field you are basing the WHERE on indexed, do so now. <BR><BR>To make it indexed:<BR><BR>(1) Bring up Access.<BR>(2) Open the DB in question.<BR>(3) Click on the table name in question and then RIGHT-click on "Design View"<BR>(4) Click on the field name in question<BR>(5) At the bottom of the design view, not the title "Indexed" on the "General" tab. <BR>(6) If "Indexed" is set to "No", click on the "No".<BR>(7) From the menu that appears, choose "Yes, duplicates allowed" or "Yes, no duplicates" depending on what makes sense for this field. (That is, if it&#039;s a zip code field, then of course you need to allow duplicates. If it&#039;s a phone number field, then maybe you don&#039;t want duplicates, though a husband and wife might have the same phone number, so think about this before saying "no duplicates.")<BR><BR>Hokay?<BR><BR>NOW try the query.<BR><BR>