"dbo." giving headaches in access

Thread: "dbo." giving headaches in access

Default "dbo." giving headaches in access

Hello!<BR><BR>I am working with securing an old, not secured app.<BR>It runs as an Access ADP-file against a backend<BR>SQL-2K server. Currently, everybody is logging in<BR>as sa (yay...).<BR><BR>Now, because you are logged in as sa, Access will <BR>happily use "SP_MYPROC" as a source for a report,form<BR>or combobox. But when you log in as a restriced user<BR>it complains that it can not find sp_myproc, and it is<BR>not happy until you tell it "dbo.sp_myproc". <BR>There is no way I can wade through and change 100s of <BR>forms and recordsources and add "dbo." in front of <BR>them so I wondered if there is another way, except<BR>of letting all the users to become members of sysadmin.<BR>That, is obviously not an option. :)<BR><BR>Regards,<BR>Moussie

Default RE:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but i doubt you&#039;ll find any other way.<BR><BR>It may seem a bit of a worst case scenario but you could always use find & replace in a text editor?

Default I'm not sure of the exact syntax in

in SQL 2K, however in Oracle I would simply create a public database SYNONYM for SP_MYPROC which defaults to dbo.SP_MYPROC <BR><BR>something like <BR><BR>CREATE PUBLIC SYNONYM SP_MYPROC <BR> FOR dbo.SP_MYPROC;<BR><BR>The key here is to create a PUBLIC synonym.<BR><BR>Then you don&#039;t have to specify owner name(i.e. -dbo) in your SQL.<BR><BR>Hope that helps.<BR>Pete<BR><BR><BR>