Long Text and SPROCs

Thread: Long Text and SPROCs

Default Long Text and SPROCs

Hi<BR><BR>I have run into a problem with SQL and SPROCs that extract data from the DB.<BR><BR>Some of the SPROC I am using extract data from a table that has a mixture of data types. When-ever I do the select which has INT, VARCHAR and LONG TEXT columns within it there is no problem until I try to write out the data from the second long text column where upon it doesnt seem to output anything.<BR><BR>eg: (This select is within a SPROC)<BR><BR>SELECT dbo.id, dbo.fname, dbo.lname, dbo.objective, dbo.yearsEmployed, dbo.idealPosition, dbo.GradDegreeGrade FROM contact<BR><BR>Where dbo.objective & dbo.idealPosition are long text types<BR><BR>Now when Iloop through the recordset containing the data from this it gets to dbo.objective, outputs it fine, it also outputs dbo.yearsEmployed & dbo.GradDegreeGrade fine which are INT&#039;s but dbo.idealPosition doesn&#039;t show anything when I know there is correct data in all columns...<BR><BR>TIA<BR>JC

Indianapolis, IN

Default show the page code...

What do you have on your page? Show the part where you&#039;re looping through the recordset, obtaining the value of idealPosition. Also, how do you know the record has values? Have you run the sproc through Query Analyzer using the same parameters as your page?

Default RE: Long Text and SPROCs

There is a faq about this.. I think it may be this one:<BR>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q175239&<BR><BR>basically you should try putting the memo fields at the end of the select list and also *read* those fields from the recordse last. Also when reading the values from the recordset only access them once, if you need to look at the value twice store the value in a variable the first time then look at the variable. This is a pain, but if you play around with how you access the values, you should be able to get it to work.