Default website is Stopped

Thread: Default website is Stopped

Default Default website is Stopped

I have multiple websites running on WIN2k Server. I am just a beginner in ASP. I just saved my hi.asp file in c:/Inetpub/wwwroot . When I tried to run it in browser"http://localhost/hi.asp" it gives me this error<BR><BR><BR><BR>If I typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.<BR><BR>Open the localhost home page, and then look for links to the information you want. <BR>Click the Back button to try another link. <BR>Click Search to look for information on the Internet. <BR><BR><BR><BR>HTTP 404 - File not found<BR>Internet Explorer <BR><BR>I know what the problem is but still could not figre out how to solve it. In Internet Information Services i found out that<BR>"Default Website" is stopped. I just want to know how to start it and which IP address should be assigned to it. There are 3 IP addreses assigned to 3 websites. what should be IP address for this Default website? If I assign an IP address to Default website will it cause any problem in global.asa file ?will my sites go down. I just dont want to mingle with other webites which are running very smoothly..<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Hetal<BR>

Default RE: Default website is Stopped

You might need to change the default file settings in IIS to default.asp so that it knows to accept .asp pages.

Default This is more an IIS question than ASP

And there&#039;s a different forum for that.<BR><BR>Short primer:<BR>Two websites cannot operate on the same IP address unless you specifically assign one (or both) to use host headers. So if there are 3 sites here on 3 IPs, starting "Default" and assigning it to one of the IPs will cause problems.<BR><BR>The first thing you should do is find out all you can about the 3 sites that are running fine. Check their properties in Internet Services Manager (or Computer Management) and note their IP address(es), any host header info (click on the "Advanced" button on the screen with the IP address), what folder they are assigned to, etc.<BR><BR>Also, with a multihomed machine (multiple IPs), I don&#039;t think "localhost" is going to behave the way you&#039;d expect.<BR><BR>You might want to consider adding a 4th IP and creating a new website to use it.<BR>