Hi, could you please help.<BR>I am using VS.NET - ASP.NET Web Application<BR>How do you change the default value of a DropDownList embedded in a DataList&#039;s EditItemTemplate?<BR><BR>When I click on EditCommand button in the Item template I want set up SelectedIndex for DropDownList<BR>in the Edit Item template of DataList. The list of all relevant items ( titles ) are already set up <BR>in the DropDownList’s ListItem Collection at design time. <BR><BR>Here&#039;s what I tried, but am getting the error:<BR>"Object reference not set to an instance of an object"<BR><BR>Public Sub ContactDetails_EditCommand(ByVal source As Object, _<BR> ByVal e As System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataListCommandEventArgs ) _<BR> Handles ContactDetails.EditCommand<BR><BR>&#039;setup default for DropDownList with title MR (index = 2)<BR> Dim ddlTitle As DropDownList = CType(Me.ContactDetails.FindControl("ddlTitle"), DropDownList)<BR> ddlTitle.SelectedIndex = 2<BR><BR><BR><BR>‘ NOTE: This does not work as well:<BR> &#039; Dim ddlTitle As DropDownList = e.Item.FindControl("ddlTitle")<BR> &#039; ddlTitle.SelectedIndex = 2<BR><BR>thank you,<BR>Eva