Indepent Opening Of Files

Thread: Indepent Opening Of Files

Default Indepent Opening Of Files

Dear people,<BR><BR>My problem is this. I have a CD created and on that CD is a whole set of web pages. These also link to PDF&#039;s. All is fine and dandy so far, but no. I have all the PDF&#039;s indexed too, so they can search for a problem area within the PDF&#039;s. <BR><BR>All would be fine, only when the .PDF is opened up from a web page, it unfortunately then removes the option of searching the PDF&#039;s in a given location. I understand why they do it, as it would be ludicrous to set up an online style PDF search, but this is all going on a CD.<BR><BR>Now... If anyone knows how I can launch the PDF independently from the web browser. (I think that it can be done using ActiveX or JavaScript, but I do not know where to look to do it) <BR><BR>If anyone can point me in the right direction, or give me a tip on how to do this, I would be most grateful.<BR><BR>Many Thanks,<BR><BR>James Goodwill

Default RE: Indepent Opening Of Files

Ive tried locally using JScriptto create a new ActiveX object with the PROGID of the PDF viewer (I think its PDF.PdfCtrl.5)<BR><BR>It has a method called "LoadFile". I gave it the path of a PDF file I have on my machine<BR><BR>It bombs out - "Unexpected call to method or property access". Not sure why. I tried it with Reader open and closed while I clicked my link.<BR><BR>I dont think its scriptable. But its something you may want to play with.<BR><BR>My code:<BR><BR>&#060;script language="JScript"&#062;<BR>function openPDF(strFileName)<BR>{<BR> var pdfOpen = new ActiveXObject("PDF.PdfCtrl.5")<BR> pdfOpen.src = strFileName<BR> pdfOpen.LoadFile(strFileName)<BR>}<BR>&#060;/script&#062;<BR> <BR>