Automatic form submission

Thread: Automatic form submission

Default Automatic form submission

I have to integrate a CGI application with a hidden active server page. I need to submit information into an ASP page. this will be a form. This is easy enough. I do not want the user to see the form though. I want the form to "auto" submit as soon as it loads! ie what is in the asp is a database entry. Is there any way of doing this using ASP&#039s rather than Java.<BR><BR>Cheers<BR><BR>toby

Stephen Fisher Guest

Default RE: Automatic form submission

What do you need to load the form at all?<BR><BR>State what you need the form to do.

Default RE: Automatic form submission

You do not need a "form" to do this.all you need to do is execute a query likesql="insert (ip, time, page) values (127.0.0.1,12:00AM,&#039index.asp&#039)"my_conn.ex ecute (sql)
    ________
    Kid nexium
    Last edited by Jay; 04-16-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Default RE: RE: Automatic form submission

I do need the form... <BR>I need to pass the values included using the html get command back to another page on another server. I cannot therefore simply make the entry into the database. The problem is that I am having to host pages no another companies server. The job I have been given is that they will pass us an HTML input and I will give then an html output, (it is an address). Every time we check the address it makes a database entry. The address is checked using a CGI program. This makes use of a number of HTML pages. Idealy I would be able to easily integrate ASPS at this point. But the code has been written badly and will not support them. Therefore I need to get the ASP page tagged and hidden on the back. It is a form as this will allow me to pass the information on back to the client using "auto", submit ie a command that simply replaces having to click on the submit button of a form. Thats all i need. The database entry will be made and the information will be passed back to the client. I was simply going to use hidden fields.<BR><BR>Hope that explains it a bit better, thanks for the heklp though guys ! <BR><BR>cheers<BR><BR>Toby

Steve Marlowe Guest

I still don&#039t quite understand why you need the auto submit. It seems like somewhere along the line there has to be a form with some type of user input or something. Not sure where your data is coming from? but anyway, instead of asp have you thought about using a simple client side script with something like<BR><BR>&#060;script language="JavaScript"><BR> document.FormName.submit();<BR>&#060;/script><BR><BR>im not sure if you can use an inline script like that or you may need to put it in a function and then use the onLoad event in the body tag to call the function once the page is completely loaded. I think this should do what you want though.<BR><BR>or you could always do like the other people have mentioned and just fake a form submission using the querstring. the problem with that method is that you are forced to use a get method.<BR><BR>steve

ActiveALLI Guest

I Suggest that you use the QueryString to pass the information between servers ...

Stephen Fisher Guest

An HTTP Get simple appends the form values on to the end of the URL.<BR>?value=1&value2=dog ect. The first parameter requires a ? each subsequent needs an &<BR><BR>With this in mind, do the database update on your ASP page, and once that is done do a response.redirect "url.html?value1=" & value1 & "&value2=" & value2<BR><BR>ect.<BR><BR>The only problem is thge user has the URL with the exposed parameters in their history. No big deal if you were using hidden fields that could be seen as well.<BR><BR>THe oyther alternative is a server side form submission with no user interface. There are several server side components written to do this, or you could try to do it yourself with response.header &#039s or something like that.<BR><BR>I am sure you dont need a form from what you describe.