Transparent Authentification and Web Page Access

Thread: Transparent Authentification and Web Page Access

Anne Guest

Default Transparent Authentification and Web Page Access

Hi,<BR><BR>I would like users to my intranet site to be transparently authenticated and directed to different pages, based on their NT login id. <BR><BR>Is there a way for IIS to transparently (without requesting a password) discover a user&#039s NT login id, and then display a particular page based on the permissions assigned to that user?<BR><BR>I would prefer not to make users logon to the intranet, but to instead discover who they are and only direct them to the pages for which they have the right security access. For instance, a head engineer might have access to all of the information in the intranet site, whereas an executive my not have access to sensitive information regarding development discussion (which might be embarassing, or cause undue alarm, for example).<BR><BR>We are currently on a Win NT system, and using IIS, and (possibly) ASP.<BR><BR>I would appreciate any help that you could give me.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>Anne

Nathen Grass Guest

Default RE: Transparent Authentification and Web Page Acce

You can set your intranet up to use NT Challenge/Response as the means of authentication. This can be set using the Directory Security tab on the Properties form for your web. Using this will require the user to log into his computer(which the user would do anyway to access your LAN) and NT handles the transferring of the security credentials when the user navigates to your intranet site. Challenge/Response uses NT Access Control Lists to determine what the user has access to. This only works with Internet Explorer and does not work with Netscape.