NT'like permission structure

Thread: NT'like permission structure

Default NT'like permission structure

Is there a way to set up a web-based permission structure like the NT system? <BR><BR>ie.<BR>A hierachrial structure of permission groups can be made and then users can be placed into the groups.<BR><BR>For instance, <BR>A group can be made with specified permissions. A group under that group can then be made with other permissions. The subgroup cannot alter the supergroup, however the supergroup can alter the permissions of the subgroup.<BR><BR>I am looking for a way that will allow the original admin of the whole system to alter and subgroups throughout the entire system. I cannot think of a way to set this up so I can check the permissions of a user in a supergroup, without having to trace the parent groups all of the way back to see if the user is a member of a parent group.<BR><BR>This is basically a permission hierachy. I have been trying to figure this out for a year off and on....and I still can&#039;t think of a thing. Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.<BR><BR>All I could think of is an associative relationship the stores what group members belong in. The problem with this is any subgroup made would have to update all super groups members in the table as a member as well. There has to be a more efficient way to do this.

Default Read some of the Hierarchy..

.. articles on SQLTeam.com. They have some great information in them.<BR><BR>And, I posted a big stored proc that traversed the tree on their forum. Just search for "hierarch" posted by "dsetzer".