Password protect Access databases

Thread: Password protect Access databases

Default Password protect Access databases

Hello,<BR><BR>I am trying to password protect an Access database that will be accessed trough the web.<BR><BR>I need to stablish the ways of doing this using DSN, DSN-Less and OLEDB. I have all working but OLEDB is always giving an error:<BR><BR>Error #=-2147467259<BR>Error desc. -&#062; Can&#039t start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user.<BR><BR>I set the password for the database and I am using this:<BR><BR>&#039Configuration for Sytem DSN (OK)<BR>&#039ConnStr = "DSN=STORE;uid=;pwd=guess"<BR> <BR>&#039Configuration for file DSN-Less connection (OK)<BR>&#039ConnStr = "DBQ=C:dbdata.mdb;Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};uid=;pwd=guess"<BR><BR>&#039 3. Configuration for OLDB drivers (ERROR!)<BR>ConnStr = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.3.51; Data Source=C:dbdata.mdb; User ID=;Password=guess"<BR><BR> ConnStr<BR><BR>I know it is getting the password correctly as if I change it then I get a "incorrect password" message. Nothing changes if I specify a user.<BR><BR>Any ideas of how can I do this? or what can be causing this?<BR><BR>Thanks a lot!<BR><BR>John.<BR>

John Cunningham Guest

Default RE: Password protect Access databases

I would srongly recommend upgrading to the Jet 4.0 OLEDB driver. From memory I think your OLEDB conn string will work if you add "Persist Security Information=False".<BR><BR>Try creating the string using the data link wizard. -- Right click on the desktop and select New - New Microsoft data Link - then open the UDL file in notepad and copy the connection string.<BR><BR>Regards<BR>John Cunningham<BR>

Default RE: Password protect Access databases

Hello,<BR><BR>Thanks! I finally managed to do it using:<BR><BR>Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.3.51; Data Source=C:dbdata.mdb; Jet OLEDB:Database Password=guess<BR>(or 4.0)<BR><BR>What does the Persist Security Information setting do?<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>John