file, folder or image names with @(ampersand)

Thread: file, folder or image names with @(ampersand)

Default file, folder or image names with @(ampersand)

I am going crazy why my folder, files or images with & in the name like fun&games won&#039;t show up in <BR>my website running on IIS 5.0. Everything was fine in NT server and I have to move the site to Windows 2000. Any idea what settings could be causing this to happen?<BR>Thanks

Default RE: file, folder or image names with @(ampersand)

The "&" symbol is a reserved character in HTTP, so it shouldn&#039;t have worked in the first place. Generally, it&#039;s bad practice to use "&", "?", or other reserved characters as part of a URL when they aren&#039;t used as part of a query string.<BR><BR>One possible solution: you could change the HREFs in your code to use the escape code for "&". So the following:<BR><BR>&#060;img src="fun&games"&#062;<BR><BR>would become:<BR><BR>&#060;img src="fun%26games"&#062;<BR><BR>I don&#039;t know if that will work (its based on a similar trick with spaces, substituting "%20" in a filename so that older versions of Netscape can link to it). You&#039;d be much better off if you changed your file and folder names to something without reserved characters (for instance, "fun_games").<BR>