Custom Email Error reporting...

Thread: Custom Email Error reporting...

Default Custom Email Error reporting...

Hi guys,<BR><BR>I was just wondering if you could confirm something for me. A friend was showing me his cold fusion website, and he had quite a funky system that emailed the webmaster (him) the details if any errors occured on his website and instead of the user getting the nasty cold fusion error page which means nothing to them, the page with script would display but instead of excuting the whole script it would show a message saying "An error has occured...".<BR><BR>Is this possible with ASP? In terms of emailing errors? I&#039;ve looked into custom error messages in my book, and I realise you can format them so the page loads displaying the error message to the user in a legible format. But is it possible to email both VB Script and ADO errors?<BR><BR>If anyone knows of a Tutorial, or FAQ, or has the code on this could you please let me know / advise me.<BR><BR>Thanks in advance<BR><BR>James

Default Well, sure.... could do it in a number of ways. Probably the best would be to create a VB DLL which you can call from your ASP page which logs the error. The "logging" could be writing it to a file, or emailing it to you, or something.<BR><BR>Then, you would need an error handling routine. Again, there are different ways of doing it. You could either have On Error Resume Next statements on your pages and then keep testing Err.Number, although that&#039;s not the way I like to do it. You could also have a custom HTTP 500 error page set up in IIS. Then, whenever it&#039;s hit, execute your logging stuff...<BR><BR>Craig.