Function returning object reference

Thread: Function returning object reference

Default Function returning object reference

what i am trying to do is encapsulate all the initiatlization stuff i do everytime i make a database query. really the only difference between one query and another is the variable to which the query object is assigned and the actual select statement so i figured why not put that into a function that takes in the query string and returns the pointer so i wrote this:<BR><BR>Function startDBQuery(query)<BR> set dbQuery = Nothing<BR> set dbQuery = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")<BR> dbQuery.ActiveConnection = MM_Conference_STRING<BR> dbQuery.Source = query<BR> dbQuery.CursorType = 0<BR> dbQuery.CursorLocation = 2<BR> dbQuery.LockType = 3<BR> dbQuery.Open()<BR> dbQuery_numRows = 0<BR> startDBQuery=dbQuery<BR>end function<BR><BR>and called it by doiung something like this:<BR><BR>set AttendeeMX = startDBQuery("SELECT max(AttendeeID) as MaxID FROM Attendees")<BR><BR>the problem is that something is messed up in the return and pointer definition because the variable pointer in this case AttendeeMX cannot have any methods called on it without giving me an error leading me to conclude that there is something wrong with this pointer reference. the problem i do not know what the error is<BR><BR>any help would be great <BR>thanks<BR>andrew

Default RE: Function returning object reference

set startDBQuery=dbQuery<BR>

Default Doesn't work that way

You don&#039;t get the actual pointer like in C.<BR><BR>What you get when you do &#039;set&#039;, is you get the QueryInterface ID that references the object. Ya can&#039;t manipulate the pointer since VBS has no capabilites to do so.