I am getting a record from the database using the sqldatareader, It works fine if there is a data, but if there is not data it throws an error. Actually I want to populate a text field after the if the data exist, if it does not exists, i want to inform the user that there is not data for the selected menu, please add new: The code I am using for getting the sqldatareader is:<BR><BR>...<BR>Dim dr As SqlDataReader = events.GetVehicleRate(Int32.Parse(pubs_id.Selected Item.Value), Int32.Parse(title_id.SelectedItem.Value))<BR><BR>& #039; Read first row from database<BR>dr.Read()<BR>rate_fig.Text = Trim(CType(dr("rate_fig"), String))<BR>dr.Close()<BR>...<BR><BR>The error that produces is<BR>Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: Invalid attempt to read when no data is present.<BR><BR>Source Error: <BR><BR>Line 33: &#039; Read first row from database<BR>Line 34: dr.Read()<BR>Line 35: rate_fig.Text = Trim(CType(dr("rate_fig"), String))<BR>Line 36: dr.Close()<BR>Error on Line 35<BR>...<BR><BR>How do i resolve this<BR><BR>Thanx<BR><BR> <BR><BR>