Installing MDAC 2.1 on production box with existing apps - folly?

Thread: Installing MDAC 2.1 on production box with existing apps - folly?

Steph Schipper Guest

Default Installing MDAC 2.1 on production box with existing apps - folly?

We are finishing a new site using Interdev 6.0 SP3.0 which requires MDAC 2.1. (Great RAD tool if you can get it to stop crashing.)<BR><BR>Now it&#039s time to move the app into production and the logical production box for that is running ASP apps that utilize ODBC drivers from the MDAC 1.5. The MDAC 2.1 updates all that and overwrites older versions of the ODBC .dlls (as I understand it). I have read numerous articles in the KB regarding installing the new MDAC and the "DLL Hell" that results (older applications breaking etc...).<BR><BR>Anyone out there with experience with this? Can I safely install the MDAC 2.1 on my production box and not errivocably screw things up for my other ASP apps? (My backup plan is to install the new app on a new server, but I sure would like to know if it is at least possible.) Should you be able to install newer versions of ADO, ODBC, and OLE DB seamlessly? If not, what are common strategies for upgrading. SQL 7 for example, requires MDAC 2.1, so we all have to go there eventually,<BR><BR>Paranoidly Yours,<BR><BR>Steph.

Tony Cimorelli Guest

Default RE: Installing MDAC 2.1 on production box with existing apps - folly?

Read my reply to Maria Erb below.<BR>I still haven&#039t gotten my test box working with MDAC 2.1 SP1a.<BR>It&#039s a security issue with the Access driver, I believe.<BR>Run a search on Microsofts KB and look for 80004005.<BR>The article I referenced will allow you to connect, but you must use a userid and password. Not the greatest thing for an Internet server. But, you can at least test the app.<BR>I&#039m sticking with the older 1.5 until I can find time to play with the test box. If you switch back from the synch password, instant 80004005.