Help w/login using Session()

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help w/login using Session()

Default Help w/login using Session()

I have a password-protected site that is using a session variable.<BR><BR>I have this code at the top of each password-protected page:<BR><BR>If session("active") &#060;&#062; "True" Then <BR>response.redirect "login.asp" <BR>End If <BR><BR>Where "active" is the user&#039;s password pulled from a database. <BR><BR>The trouble is that once you are in a site, you are able to manually type in another site name and jump around to that protected sites without getting any login prompt, because it sees that session("active") is true<BR><BR>I need "active" to be dynamic yet secure. Is this possible?

Default have an admin level

admin 1 can access some pages<BR>admin 2 can access more pages<BR>admin 3 can access most pages<BR>admin 4 can access all pages<BR><BR>of course, set this up to fit your needs, store in an "admin" session variable...<BR><BR>Session("admin")<BR>and test...<BR>if session("admin") = 4 And Session("active") = "True" Then<BR>you may be able to do away with the "active" session variable if you have an admin... <BR><BR>once "active" is set to true, the user will be able to view other pages if that&#039;s the only criteria required to be able to view them. you might be able to say this...<BR>Session("viewPageA") = "true"<BR><BR>that way they can view page A, and no others, but admin would be the way to go on this one, i think...

Default What if I have 1000 sites?

I will be using this for quite a few client sites. Will I need to set a number for each site?<BR><BR>Also I&#039;d really like to hook the session variable up w/ the user&#039;s password from database if possible...

Default sites?

do you mean pages? i think of a site as a whole new domain name, is all. <BR><BR>yes you would have to set a number for each "site". if you want a 1:1 ratio of users to "sites" that they can view, you&#039;d want to have some kind of distinct value that determines that they are allowed to view this current "site" and not the other "sites".

Default 1000 different pages then?

Wouldn&#039;t it be just as easy to assign each "page" a unique session name - not pulling anything from the dbase?

Default that would entail...

writing a lot of pages that could be wrapped up in a lot less pages by simply using conditional statements to determine who can do what on each page...

Default Explain...

I&#039;m not sure what you mean. I am thinking of this in terms of client review sites. I have a directory set up for Client A and a directory set up for Client B. Client A will never have permission to see any of Client B&#039;s pages and vice versa.<BR><BR>I thought the simplest way to set this up was to dynamically generate the session name by pulling it from a database - in this case the client&#039;s password. By having<BR><BR>Session("active") = rstemp("password") <BR>Session("active") = True<BR><BR>on the login page I wanted the UNIQUE value of the password to be passed to the session. Is that not happening?

Default RE: Explain...

that can happen very easily... after a user logs in, query the db to see if this person is in there, if so then put the password in a session variable, and on each page you would base the security on that password session variable and other permissions of course.

Default Isn't the code...

at the top of each page already supposed to be doing that?<BR><BR>If session("active") &#060;&#062; "True" Then <BR>response.redirect "login.asp" <BR>End If <BR>

Default okay!!

yes. you should just put that code in a little .asp file and include it on every page then. I didn&#039;t know that all you were trying to do was set up a session and if the session ends, then send the user to the login screen. Yes, that is the way to do it!!!