Using Access simultaneously with ASP

Thread: Using Access simultaneously with ASP

Default Using Access simultaneously with ASP

My scenario: <BR>Developing a web app on an intranet <BR><BR>Specifics: <BR>NT4 Network with NT4 IIS server and seperate NT4 fileserver plus exchange, domain controller servers etc. <BR>Database residing on the fileserver with a copy of it on the IIS for testing using a ODBC system DSN. <BR><BR>Problem: <BR>I have been tasked with deveolping a medium sized MS Access 97 database with a back end that stores the data an Access front end for the boss to use, and a web based front end for all other users, the problem is i obviousley need to have both the access and the asp to be able to use the data from the back end at the same time. Not a problem i thought(stupidly!) the back end works fine on its own - it just sits there, next got the the Access front runnig it works well, so i close the front end and try the asp through IE not a problem works well(seems to), so i open the front end again with the web page still up - fine, next open the asp page with the Access front end running thats where it decides not to play. <BR><BR>i get this error message: <BR><BR>Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error &#039;80004005&#039; <BR><BR>[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Could not use &#039;(unknown)&#039;; file already in use. <BR><BR>/mandamags/index.asp, line 10 <BR><BR>At the moment the front end just uses tables linked direclty so i thought i would use an ODBC connection but that didn&#039;t want to play either i got this error message: <BR><BR>You cannot use ODBC to import from, export to, or link am external Microsoft Jet or ISAM database table to your database. <BR><BR>I&#039;ve tried using ODBC to connect to the database on the file server but it doesn&#039;t like that but i think i found a workaround for that at the MSDN. <BR>So if anyone could help me with getting the asp and Access front end to run at the same time either with or without using ODBC or any other method it would be apprecited greatly. <BR><BR>Cheers Iain

Default RE: Using Access simultaneously with ASP

I seem to remember that the one thing that stinks about Access is that it doesn&#039;t support concurrency (multiple users trying to write to it at the same time, a record locking issue). It&#039;s generally why it&#039;s not heavily used for web apps. My memory could certainly be wrong but check out the product&#039;s specifications first before you pull your hair out too much