Client-Side code

Thread: Client-Side code

Default Client-Side code

I know the answer to this question, but can I get some feed-back from a couple of other sources to reconfirm the inevitable.<BR><BR>Is there any way to connect to datasources such as db&#039;s and spreadsheets via client-side scripting?<BR><BR>I need to search and pull information from these sources to a site on an intranet. I do not have to write to them, although that probably does not make a difference.<BR><BR>Thanks for your time

Default RE: Client-Side code

sure there is, but I do not know the impact of doing it - never used it on the client. I just ran this without any problem:<BR><BR>&#060;script language="JavaScript"&#062;<BR> var objConn = new ActiveXObject(&#039;ADODB.Connection&#039;);<BR> objConn.Open(&#039;Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;Data Source=xxx;User Id=xxx;Password=xxx;&#039;);<BR> alert(&#039;state = &#039; + objConn.State);<BR> objConn.Close <BR> objConn = null;<BR>&#060;/script&#062;

Default Well, don't forget...

...that you have to be able to make the connection to the DB from *any* of the clients. So the DSN has to be created on each client machine or you have to figure out the right DSN-less connection that will work *from* any of the client machines. Depending on your network configuration, that may or may not be trivial.<BR><BR>