Insert to multiple tables

Thread: Insert to multiple tables

Default Insert to multiple tables

Is it possible to insert fields from a form to multiple tables rather than having to split the form up in to several pages and do it step by step?<BR><BR>I have a relationship between 2 tables. The first table being the job and the second being the products needed for the job (one to many relationship). I want to be able to add the single job with the products needed in one form to their respective tables. Can this be done?<BR><BR>Can anyone give me an example?

Default RE: Insert to multiple tables

Just do one insert after another:<BR><BR>oConn.BeginTrans<BR><BR>sSQL = "INSERT INTO TableA (FieldA, FieldB) VALUES (" & Request.Form("FieldA") & ", " & Request.Form("FieldB") & ")"<BR>oConn.Execute sSQL<BR><BR>sSQL = "INSERT INTO TableB (FieldB, FieldC, FieldD) VALUES (" & Request.Form("FieldB") & ", &#039;" & Request.Form("FieldC") & "&#039;, &#039;" & Request.Form("FieldD") & "&#039;"<BR>oConn.Execute sSQL<BR><BR>If Err.Number &#060;&#062; 0 Then<BR> oConn.RollbackTrans<BR>Else<BR> oConn.CommitTrans<BR>End If<BR><BR>You will want to use a transaction so that if one insert fails, the other does also. You can get the ID of the record from the first insert and use that in your second (FAQ on this).