ASP Code Security

Thread: ASP Code Security

Godan Guest

Default ASP Code Security

Hi there,<BR><BR><BR>I would like to know whether there is any way of protecting the Source code (.asp files) from the clients. I mean the client should not be able to change any code without our permission<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>Godan

Leungas Guest

Default RE: ASP Code Security

You don&#039t need to...<BR><BR>What clients see from the browser (even with view source) is static HTML code. There will be no server script or server vars. Well, client script is viewable as well. <BR><BR>I&#039m not sure this helps, if it doesn&#039t, sorry

John Fuex Guest

Default RE: ASP Code Security

I will assume you don&#039t mean that from the browser the client can see the scripts, and perhaps you mean that you designed a site for a consulting client who is hosting it on their server. The best way to protect your source code is to compile the bulk of it into a DLL and change the scripts so they just call the dll. The biggest Pro to this approach is a huge speed gain. The biggest Con is that it makes the site a lot harder to modify (since you pretty much have to cold boot the machine to replace a DLL that is used by IIS)

Default Script Encoder

MS has a tool called the script encoder (<BR><BR>This will encode your ASP scripts ( and can be used for client scripts on IE5), changing thae langage to VB/J Script.Encoded.<BR><BR>It is worth checking out...<BR>-A<BR><BR><BR>