webpage format

Thread: webpage format

Default webpage format

Hi,<BR>I&#039;m just curious on how others handle style/format issues for their websites. Do people use CSS? IE likes CSS but Netscape doesn&#039;t. How do people dynamically handle styles/formating issues?<BR><BR>This is what I have done in the past. I built a small COM style object which stores the proper syntax for the different styles I want. When the session starts, I detect the browser type. If it is IE, when building pages, I dynamically insert the proper class into the FONT tag. If not IE, I dynamically insert the proper FONT text:<BR><BR>Maybe something like:<BR>&#060;font &#060;%= Session("objStyle").bodyBold %&#062;&#062;<BR>Will convert in IE to:<BR>&#060;font CLASS="bodyBold"&#062;<BR>But in Netscape be:<BR>&#060;font STYLE="font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif; font-size:9pt; font-weight: normal; color:#000000; text-decoration:none"&#062;<BR><BR>The COM object is small so the overhead isn&#039;t that large. This has worked well in the past but I was curious if people had other ideas. (Besides statically typing in the text.)<BR>

Default stick to HTML4.1

whatever you do run it through w3c validator (w3c.org)<BR><BR>this will put you on the safe side, not only with regards to IE and Netscape, but also Opera and search engines.<BR><BR>you netscape style example will work fine with IE (where as it may not be the case the other way round)