Vs.net GUI tools....to use or not?

Thread: Vs.net GUI tools....to use or not?

Default Vs.net GUI tools....to use or not?

When creating asp.net applications is it best to use the vs.net GUI tools or code it all manually?<BR><BR>I have been playing with things like the SqlDataAdapter and DataSet in their GUI form and while they seem great for some simple select statements and such they don&#039;t seem to work well for more complex tasks.<BR><BR>Example... I have a simple SQL stored proc that returns some values via a SELECT statement. Works great using the GUI stuff until I go and add an input parameter into the stored proc.<BR><BR>Unless I hard code the input value into the collections list in the data adapter I can&#039;t use the preview data options. Meaning, if I set it to grab the input INT from the value of a drop down list the preview data will error out.<BR><BR>So, what is everyone doing? Is anyone using the GUI data tools or just manually coding?

Default RE: Vs.net GUI tools....to use or not?

All by hand here ... though I&#039;m decidedly antiGUI ;) I almost always find the same things true that you have. Works great for simple stuff that lasts you all of a few hours and then you have to abandon it and code by hand. I&#039;m sure there are ways, just not worth the time imo. Besides, once you&#039;ve built a few things you can easily grab snippets of code to save ya time. <BR><BR>])ry