ADO Performance

Thread: ADO Performance

Default ADO Performance

This is not a true ASP question but more a VBA question. I am posted it here because it is Visual basic and there are many here who know vb, if this offends anyone, I apoligize. <BR><BR> I have a general question about performance. <BR>I am modifying a program I wrote in VBA that validates, user chosen state codes against hard coded state codes. I need to add 2 "new" state codes.I use several ADO connections for other programs and was considering rewriting this program, to have my state codes stored in a SQL table on the backendso Manager can add codes in the future without me having to edit the program, of course this will create more trips to the server every time user adds a new order. <BR> My question is in a Win98/NT/2000 client environment with a WINNT server, and SQL server much overhead does ADO add to the client&#039;s system(bear in mind that the application I am modifying is already making trips to the SQL server as well as my other VBA programs using ADO)?<BR><BR>Jose

Default Minimal, I would say.

If you&#039;re already instantiating the ADO objects, then I would guess it&#039;s going to be small. Ok, there&#039;s going to be a conversation with the SQL Server, but that&#039;s not going to be immense.<BR><BR>I would guess it depends exactly how the program is written. If you&#039;re careful with how you create/destroy objects, attempt to get information out of objects as quickly as possible (.GetRows), etc, you won&#039;t see much of a slowdown, if any.<BR><BR>Craig.