EXPERTS - PLEASE HELP !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EXPERTS - PLEASE HELP !

Default EXPERTS - PLEASE HELP !

Gurus,<BR><BR>I&#039;ve a strange problem. The IIS server goes down occasionally.. say once or twice week. It does NOT give any specific error.<BR>When a page is accessed, it just says page cannot be displayed and I understand that the server locks up !<BR><BR>The application is being accessed 12 hours a day, with a fixed set of users working constantly. The users frequently access same set of pages, but hit different sets of data. <BR><BR>I feel if there is any bug in the application it should have given some specific error, like database error, object error etc,. It accesses Oracle database and is an intranet application. But unfortunately I&#039;ve no clue what&#039;s going on.<BR><BR>Do you think it&#039;s problem with server or application ? I know this is a dumb questions w/out knowing the appln. itself, nevertheless experts might have some fair idea on this type of problem.<BR><BR>any thoughts on this... as to how to proceed.<BR><BR>I would appreciate you response in this regard.

Default RE: EXPERTS - PLEASE HELP !

What are the specs of the server..?<BR><BR>Are there any other sites housed on the server..?<BR><BR>Are you storing data in what type of variables Session/Application..?<BR><BR>

Default Does it return...

...just a strange code? Lemme go look...<BR><BR>-2147417848 (0x800101008)<BR><BR>??<BR><BR>If so, that is IIS falling over. It&#039;s a known bug with no know cure, except to stop and start IIS. We set up monitoring code which periodically requests pages from our servers.<BR><BR>If we get that back, we restart IIS.<BR><BR>Craig.

It is IIS 5.0<BR><BR>There are couple of other sites on the server. But I got to prove them that my application is NOT causing the server to go down (If that is the true statement).<BR><BR>Some of the variable are stored in Session variables and mostly I used record sets.

Default RE: Does it return...

As far I remember I did NOT notice such error. It&#039;s infamous page cannot be displayed.... blah... blah...<BR><BR>However we do restart IIS for the existing problem .

Default Do you have a test web server

with a similar configuration and your same application on it? If yes, is the same thing happening? Again if yes, then remove your app from test server and see if IIS is still going down? <BR><BR>Its not a perfect solution, but a quick way to see if your app is causing it.

Default RE: Do you have a test web server

The server in question is in fact a TEST server.<BR><BR>The unknown here is that the server went down twice last week... but NOT once in the week prior to that.<BR><BR>Since users are testing it, I cannot take the appln out for few days or so !

My thought is; if the server&#039;s hardware is not "Beefy" enough to handle the load of the sites then that would be the biggest possiblities of why it&#039;s crashing...<BR><BR>What&#039;s the config of the server hardware wise..?

Default Out of curiousity...

...do you store connected ADO Connection and Recordset objects in Application or Session variables?<BR><BR>Are you certain you close ADO connections and destroy objects BEFORE any response.redirect or server.transfer commands?<BR><BR>You may want to post a typical ASP page that contains database access functions for us to review.

Default Did you encounter the same problem

in your own testing on this server before releasing for user testing?<BR><BR>Also, how many users do you have testing?