Sessions - Altern Methods

Thread: Sessions - Altern Methods

Deion (Aaron T. Lange) Guest

Default Sessions - Altern Methods

ok, i just got back from New York last week from the VBits conf and the big talk in all the ASP type tracks (the few there were) were about state and stateless (using sessions or not) my question is i use a ton of passing vars via forms and that works great for me except for the data base connection string. if i could find a clean way to pass that other then sessions i think i would be ok and could gain this great performance enhancement by turning off sessions... any suggestions? only thing i can think of is using the dictonary obj but i dont know the pros/cons to that... <BR>thanx in advance.<BR>~Deion<BR>

Default RE: Sessions - Altern Methods

The obvious one to me would be the Application variable. Its used just like a session varible but only one copy of each one is created per application not session. You should lock the application when you are writting to it, but there is no need to lock if you are just reading from it.<BR><BR>Application.Lock<BR>Application("Test") = "This is a test message"<BR>Application.UnLock<BR>Response.Write Application("Test")<BR><BR>Hope that helps<BR><BR>Pete

Deion (Aaron T. Lange) Guest

hmm yah i was thinking about that and it would work like a champ. do you know if turning off sessions in IIS will still allow for application sessions?? cuz that is my over all goal, to turn off sessions in IIS and gain the performance boost for my whole web site. thanx.<BR>

As far as I know you can turn off Session and still keep Application Var&#039s going. Applications don&#039t need the Session ID to work as they are Application wide and not dependant on the Session.<BR><BR>Give it a go?<BR><BR>Pete