Help with dB and ASP problem

Thread: Help with dB and ASP problem

Default Help with dB and ASP problem

&nbsp;<BR>I have an urgent situation. We currently are running an old auction site for our company in ASP (SQL). I noticed a bug in the program that could be a problem. <BR><BR>The program selects the current bid and then compares it to the new bid. After the comparisons, it will submit the bid to the dB is it meets the requirements and beats the other bids. <BR><BR>What if someone else sneaks a bid in after the select and comparisons, but before the submission of the new Bid? <BR><BR>I have put all this information in a transaction (starting with the select and committing at the insert), but does a transaction essentially lock the dB until it is committed? <BR><BR>If not, is there a way to lock a dB? Is there also a way to check for a lock, allowing users to wait until the lock is no more? <BR><BR>Does anyone have another suggested fixes to this issue in ASP? <BR><BR>Thank You, <BR>Kris

Default adLockPessimistic -- Dutch???

SELECTing a record via a RecordSet.Open that specifies a lock mode of adLockPessimistic will, *according to my understanding*, indeed lock the record you selected. So if that record is the one that records the high bid, you should be safe.<BR><BR>Please don&#039;t take my word for this. Check it out, if you can! With the DB gurus such as Dutch and Lars Berg.<BR><BR>Yes, there *IS* a really ugly way to lock the *entire* APPLICATION (cf. Application.Lock and Application.Unlock), and that&#039;s probably fine for a low volume site. But if you have any hopes that this auction site will be successful, you probably want to avoid that.