Need help with creating a banner rotator

Thread: Need help with creating a banner rotator

Saturnino Guest

Default Need help with creating a banner rotator

I am kinda new to ASP and am having a bit of trouble creating the banner rotator that was mentioned in one of the 4guysfromrolla&#039s articles(http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/061399-4.shtml). I made the Banners.txt file like they said(check it out at www.blackvortex.com/banners.txt), I got and edited all the files that it said I needed(banner.asp, adredir.asp, report.asp) and I created the 2 directories that it said I needed(clicks and clickthrus). After I did all that I needed I created a page to test to see if the banner system was working(www.blackvortex.com/newbannertest.asp) but alas, it wasn&#039t. If you go to the test page it says that "Server.CreateObject failed". I talked to a friend with more experience with asp than me and he said to make sure that the clicks and clickthrus driectories had read/write permission. I e-mailed the people that host my web page and they gave both of them read/write permission. I tried the test page again after the directories were read/write enabled but it still gives the same error. I also noticed that only 1 banner shows up(out of the 7 I have defined in the banners.txt) even though it is weighted equally with the others. If anyone could help me with my problem I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Default RE: Need help with creating a banner rotator

Well, first off, you must have made some changes to at least Banner.asp. Some of your images are not showing up because in the IMG tag, you&#039re setting SRC equal to their BannerID, not their IMGSRC. Here is the code from Banner.asp, you need to use:<BR><BR>Response.Write("&#060;CENTER>&#060;A HREF=""http://www.yourserver.com/adredir.asp?" & banInfo(count,bannerID) & """>")<BR>Response.Write(vbCrLf & "&#060;IMG SRC=""" & banInfo(count,IMGSRC) & """ BORDER=1 ALT=""Please support out sponsors!"">")<BR>Response.Write(vbCrLf & "&#060;/A>&#060;/CENTER>" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf)<BR><BR>I am getting all 7 banners to show up. Well, not actually appear, but they are rotating, because it shows the other banners.<BR><BR>Why don&#039t you post your entire banner.asp script?

Saturnino Guest

I just posted the source for banner.asp at www.blackvortex.com/bannerasp.txt. You can check it out but I don&#039t see what you are saying. Other than changing the IMG&#039s ALT text to what it is supposed to be, I didn&#039t change anything that would make it mess up.

ActiveALLI Guest

Doesn&#039t ISS come with a premade bannerswap engine ???