Kristin or Bill W., pls help

Thread: Kristin or Bill W., pls help

Default Kristin or Bill W., pls help

Hi there,<BR><BR>Got this far.<BR><BR>&#039;Create you connection<BR>SQL = "SELECT * FROM Soups " _<BR>& " WHERE Id = &#039;" & Request.QueryString("ID") & "&#039;"<BR>&#039;Open the recordset<BR><BR>Then set up your display however you want it<BR>&#060;%= RS("Recipe") %&#062; or whatever your field is called...I&#039;m too lazy to go back and look ;)<BR><BR>I created the connection but I dont seem to be opening the recordset because I&#039;m not getting anything.<BR><BR>Pls help me with whatever script I need.<BR><BR>Thanks<BR>Vince

Default RE: Kristin or Bill W., pls help

Hi Vince,<BR><BR>I&#039;m not either one, but I think I can help. Let&#039;s isolate the problem. <BR><BR>1) I couldn&#039;t find this in your posts, but is the field "ID" a numeric field? If so, remove the apostrophes from around it in your SQL.<BR><BR>2) Check you are getting a value from your querystring:<BR> <BR>recID = Request.QueryString("ID")<BR>Response.Write "RecipeID = " & recID & vbNewLine<BR><BR>3) Be ABSOLUTELY SURE there is a record in your DB that matches the ID you just got back.<BR><BR>4) Take a look at what you are getting back from your query:<BR><BR>For Each fld in RS.Fields<BR> Response.Write fld.Name & ": " & fld.Value & vbNewLine<BR>Next<BR><BR>If none of these help, c&#039;mon back.

Default How did you create connection?

You don&#039;t show any code creating a "connection" or, for that matter, a RecordSet. So how do we know what is wrong?<BR><BR>Show your actual code.<BR><BR>And if you don&#039;t know what I meant by all that, you might want to go to and find the "beginner&#039;s lessons" and then the "database lessons" and work your way through them. (They aren&#039;t really lessons...just examples...but they should help. They aren&#039;t a substitute for a good book on ASP, but they&#039;re a pretty compact way of learning a bunch if you can learn from examples.)<BR><BR>