HELP! That article about derived tables for SQL Server doesn't work for MsAccess

Thread: HELP! That article about derived tables for SQL Server doesn't work for MsAccess

Lodewijk Wiggers Guest

Default HELP! That article about derived tables for SQL Server doesn't work for MsAccess

Who can help me out here ? <BR>I have tried the method of having derived tables in the FROM clause but MsAccess doesn&#039t accept a SELECT statement after a FROM clause.... Is there a way to solve this or am I asking to much of Microsoft ? <BR>P.S. CREATE VIEW is also not implemented...grr..

Default RE: HELP! That article about derived tables for SQL Server doesn't work for MsAccess

Yes, there is.<BR>You need to create a saved querydef first in the FROM clause.<BR>Then create another query, or just an SQL statement based on<BR>this saved querydef.<BR>Can you give us an example how you want to create the query?<BR><BR>John Weeflaar

Lodewijk Wiggers Guest

Default RE: HELP! That article about derived tables for SQL Server doesn't work for MsAccess

Yes of course I can:<BR>I have the following table in MsAcces:<BR>BOOKS with 22 columns, one of them is the NR_SOLD, which I want to use to find the top N bestsold books.<BR>So, I want to ORDER BY NR_SOLD DESC. This is NOT a problem, the problem is how I return only the top N records of this query...<BR>In other words, another query should select only the top N records...Maybe you know how ??<BR>Thanks for responding to my question!!

Yes, it is possible to do that.<BR>You don&#039t even need to create the first query (...DESC).<BR>It&#039ll select the first top N bestsold books by itself.<BR>Here is the solution: <BR>To select the top 15 bestsold books:<BR><BR>SELECT * <BR>FROM BOOKS a<BR>WHERE 15 >=<BR>(SELECT Count(*)<BR>FROM BOOKS b<BR>WHERE b.NR_SOLD >= a.NR_SOLD)<BR>ORDER BY NR_SOLD DESC<BR><BR>You can use a variable N to replace the 15, where this variable<BR>can be an input from a text field, for example.<BR><BR>Happy Programming!<BR><BR>John Weeflaar

Lodewijk Guest

Default Thanks John! It works!

Used your example and it works perfectly! :))<BR>