Retrieving and parsing file from another server

Thread: Retrieving and parsing file from another server

Default Retrieving and parsing file from another server

I have a situation where I need to retrieve a text file from an external web server and parse it. Anyone have any idea how I can retrieve it, write it to my web server and then parse it?<BR><BR>The setup on the other server is like this:<BR><BR>I have no ability to change neither the structure nor the file name. It is manually created on their side. But I want to get it and pull some titles and links out of it. Any help will be appreciated.<BR><BR>John<BR>

Default ASPFAQs, category Networking

The link to the ASPFAQs is at the top right corner of most every page on this site, including the page you are reading right now.<BR><BR>In this case:<BR><BR><BR>

Default RE: ASPFAQs, category Networking

Can you use Perl on you server? I once use the getstore function to grab the file and then accessed that file on my server to prase it.<BR><BR>Something like this, remember this is Perl<BR>#!/usr/bin/perl<BR>use CGI;<BR>use LWP::Simple;<BR>$query = CGI::new();<BR>&#039;$homepage = &#039;d:/html/users/path/to/filename.txt&#039;;<BR>&#039;$status = getstore(&#039;http://www.the_URL&#039;,$homepage);<BR><BR>print $query-&#062; header();<BR>print $query-&#062;p("YEAH, you got it") if is_success($status);<BR><BR>Remember you have to use the absolute path to were you want to store the file. The $homepage is the var. that will tell the getstore to put the file as well as name it.<BR><BR>Then you can access the file and parse with an ASP all you like.<BR>Hope this helped out in some way. I only added Perl in the response becuase not all servers let you make you own componets hope I did not offend anybody.<BR><BR>Stephen